Friday, June 10, 2011

EYE LOVE COLOR

What would the world be like without color?  Growing up in the 50's in a Pleasantville environment, the dawn of the age of color television was huge.  Interior designers were depicted by actresses like Doris Day throwing swatches about in her movies with Rock Hudson.  The average American did not hire a designer to guide them in their home furnishing selections.  My mother's home was "wall to wall" rose beige.  I mean it was everywhere, the carpet, drapery, sectional seating, paint,....everywhere.  Her color philosophy was to have the freedom to add color anywhere by not being committed to a specific color scheme, but she never did add color.  This was the single driving force of my decision to become an interior designer, color starvation! 

I love hard surface flooring.  I loved it before it was fashionable to love it.  With the natural earthtones hardsurface flooring provides, color can be shifted, changed, or added without a strong consideration to other rooms in the home.  Color sets the mood, and when children are present they will thrive in a room that is colored to their liking.  I choose to place my color in locations where change is not difficult to achieve should I seek it.  Paint, accessories, even upholstery may exude color as paint is easy to alter, accessories can be trendy, and upholstery wears out.  I avoid putting strong color into counter tops, tile, and any other more permanent fixture like a major appliance.  We Westerners are fickle and a bit spoiled.  If color is located in the wrong material selection, the item will "ugly out" before it "wears out".

When in doubt "Color outside the Lines"!

No comments:

Post a Comment